Who knew Galentine's Day was a thing? I mean, don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic idea and I am slightly jealous I didn't think of it myself. While I never saw the episode, apparently, "Galentine's Day" is the 16th episode of the 2nd season of Parks & Recreation. Leslie throws a party for her female friends the day before Valentine's Day.
I don't know about you, but I don't need much of a reason to have a party or to celebrate the women in my life. They certainly deserve it. It takes a lot to put up with me! I have such a fantastic support system. I have best friends I have known for 25 years and some I have known for less than a year and they each hold a special place in my heart. They live all over the country. Some I talk to every...single...day. Other I may go a year without talking to, but we pick up like we haven't missed a beat. My friends have been by my side through thick and thin. They have seen me at my best and my worst and they are still here doing life with me, so I cannot think of a better way to celebrate.
What about you? Have you ever celebrated Galentine's Day? In light of the pandemic this year, here are a few suggestions on how you can celebrate your friends without a party.
- Send Flowers - Be sure to include a note and let them know just how much you appreciate their friendship. If they live close by, you can always have a little fun with this and play ding-dong ditch!
- Celebrate with Champagne & a Virtual Party - Drop off a bottle of champagne and set up a virtual party. I've been joining my besties in a Zoom room for some of our favorite Jackbox games for some laughter and fun.
- Post to Social Media - Share a then and now photo of you and your friends to social media. Who doesn't like to see how much long your friendship has lasted, not mention laugh at those old, outdated hairstyles?
- Buy a Gift - There are many love languages. Mine changes all of the time, but sometimes I love a good surprise, especially when it comes in the mail!
- Call Them - I often find myself so busy, that I forget to check in. A week can turn to a month and the months to a year. Sometimes, you just have to take a moment and carve out a few minutes to pick up the phone and check in on your favorite friends. Be sure to ask how they are doing and let them know how much they mean to you.
Life is short. Friendships are so important. I say, let's all celebrate Galentine's Day this year!